Friday, September 14, 2012

Parashas Nitzovim - You Can Overcome Addictions


Here's a true story: I have a courageous friend who fights battles on a daily basis! What's admiring is that even though he more often loses than wins, he still continues to fight. It can get dangerous at times or even life threatening, but he doesn't care. “I've been put in this world to fight and only death is going to stop me from fighting!” he told me.

Of course, I am not talking about battling people - he's battling his temptations. He has an addiction to (add an addiction of your choice here.)

He told me it's really hard and he often feels like giving up but reconsiders every time. Why? “Because it's not possible Hashem would put me in a situation where I'm destined to fail. I know I can pass this addiction that's bringing me down spiritually (physically, or emotionally.) On the contrary, it's impossible that Hashem would give me a test I can not fulfill!”

In the sixth aliyah in this week's parasha, the posuk says, “For this mitzvah that I am commanding you today, it is not abstruse to you, nor is it distant... For it is close to you.”

Rashi explains that even though what's written in the Torah might be hard to understand, we nonetheless have other sources of explanation. There's an abundance of perushim on the Written Torah, it's called the Oral Torah.

I feel another way to explain this posuk might be, “This mitzvah I am commanding you today is not abstruse nor distant, it's all within your power and means to fulfill it. It might be hard but not impossible.”

Next week will be Aseres Yemei Teshuva, perhaps we can choose one thing to work on. For example: Maybe the next time we have a yeitzer hara to speak negative about someone, we can remember that it is within my means to stop talking. It's better to stop mid-sentence than to finish the statement.

Ksiva vChasima Tova,
Nisso

No comments:

Post a Comment