Thursday, October 22, 2009

Parashas Noach - Keeping a kesher with Hashem

This week's Dvar Torah has been sponsored for:
Refua Shelema: Leah Ayala Bas Yehudis
May you and your family have health, happiness, peace and success!
(If you would like to sponsor a Dvar Torah, feel free to email me: SharingTorah@gmail.com)
__________________________________________

There's a lesson in Parashas Noach which I think we can all relate to in one way or another. A common example is not thanking Hashem enough for the health we have.

In other words, let's say we've been ill for days/weeks, we cry to Hashem, "Please heal us!" However, when we feel much better, we intend to stop talking to Him. When things are going really well for us, we intend to forget who is behind it and act as if it's naturally the way the world works.

In this week's parasha, Hashem brought upon the world a mabul (flood). The cause for this was the life-style before the mabul which was similar to life on Gan Eden. Life was great!

A couple examples the meforshim bring: Human beings possessed strength which did not weaken once they reached an old age, rather they only got stronger. Ie: They were able to uproot full size cedar trees, or they considered lions (and other scary beasts) harmless as flies. [1] Another example was that a newborn child was immediately able to stand, walk and talk. Additionally, no child would die in the same life-time as their parents or grandparents.[2]

Other examples given: They worked their fields once every forty years, because their fields produced a sufficient amount of crops for no one to ever go hungry. There was no change in seasons. The weather was beautiful all the time. [3] And the biggest one of all; they knew nothing about suffering of any kind! [4]

Since everything was perfect, people everywhere questioned, "Why do we need to give authority to Hashem? We don't need His help anymore! We've got food and water to last us forever, we don't get ill, and there's NOTHING else we need from Him."

Can you imagine saying that to your parent? They've done so much for us, but now that we're all taken care of we don't need the people who brought us into this world?!! It's no wonder why Hashem chose to destroy the corrupted people. But as always, Hashem is merciful, which is why he instructed Noach to build an Ark and to save the human race. [5]

Chazal say the reason why Hashem brings afflictions upon us is because we are lacking in communication with Him. He wants us to talk to him.

I remember when I was younger, I had a friend who came from money - an extremely wealthy family. I once told her how lucky she was because she got money whenever she wanted, she had very nice clothing, a live-in maid, etc... Life seemed perfect. One day this person started crying to me saying, "You always thought I was lucky. And I always wanted to tell you this -- I would rather be in your life position than mine! Yea, it's nice, I don't clean my own room, and have lots of clothing, but the thing I want most I don't have!" I was a little confused, so I asked what she meant. She continued, "My father tries getting me out of his way by giving me money. He always tells me to go shopping or go to the movies just so that I'm not home - 'in his face.' I can tell you from experience, I would much rather have a father than wealth!"

After she told me that, I had a different perspective on things. It helped me realize how lucky I was, not her! We all need our parents. They are our guides in life, our role-models. Hashem is the opposite of this girl's father. Hashem wants a kesher with us. He wants us to talk to him. If not, He has no choice but to pull us towards Him by afflicting us.

I give us a bracha that we realize the good Hashem does for us and that we should always have Hashem in our minds. Whether things seem to be going bad or good for us, we should always continue to talk to Him.

Have a good Shabbos,
Nisso

[1] Bereishis Rabba 34:13
[2] Bereishis Rabba 36:1
[3] Midrash Tanchuma Bereishis 40
[4] Midrash HaGadol 6:4
[5] Sinhedrin 108

No comments:

Post a Comment