Thursday, July 2, 2009

Parashas Balak - Hashem is the source of all power!

This week's Dvar Torah has been sponsored for:
Refua Shelema: Leah Ayala bas Yehudis
May you have health, happiness, and success!
(If you would like to sponsor a Dvar Torah, feel free to email me: SharingTorah@gmail.com)
__________________________________________

Parashas Balak is filled with interesting stories and lessons. The story starts off with Balak (the king of Moav) sending messengers to Bilam, asking him to curse the Jews.

Bilam was a great Rasha, parallel to Moshe who was a great Tzaddik. They were opposites of equal stature. All of Bilam's life he had plotted against the Jewish people. He was one of Pharoh's advisors; when Pharoh asked what to do about Bnei Yisroel, he was the only one who suggested to wipe them out. He also gave Amalek the courage to wage war against us.

Bilam was well known for his black magic and his history of hating the Jews. When Balak sent for him to curse the Jews, Bilam woke up very early in the morning to saddle his donkey - all by himself (as opposed to his servants.)[1]

When I was younger, I remember my father waking me up at 5 am saying, "Nisso, it's time to wake up." But I refused! I was so tired, I just wanted to sleep. (It's something about waking up while it's still dark outside.) He tried again; "Nisso, come on, it's time to get up." I told him, "I don't want to, come back later!" He then replied, "Ok, fine. I will call you from Wildwood, New Jersey." (That was where we went for vacations. I loved that place!) The next thing I remember was jumping out of bed with my eyes wide open, filled with excitement! He commented how nice it would be if I got up with zrizus (zealousness) every morning. I told him, if he took me on vacation everyday, there's definitely a big possibility.

The story reminded me of Bilam (not to compare him with me or my dad) because of the zealousness he had to get on the road. It showed how much he wanted to curse the Jews. In addition, he also refused payment from Balak, because cursing the Jews was enough of a reward for him.[2]

Bilam's curses were always accurate because he knew the precise timing for a curse to have an effect. In Tehillim it says, "Hashem is angered everyday," (not our type of anger, chas v'Shalom [3].) At that moment, if one were to start cursing someone, Hashem would allow it to be effective.[4] Hashem did a huge chesed for us, because on the days Bilam tried cursing us, Hashem suppressed his anger, leaving Bilam powerless. Balak made many deals with Bilam to try and get rid of the Jews; however, it never worked. Bilam's curses were miraculously converted into blessings.[5]

When Bilam was initially summoned Balak, all the nations stood with their swords ready, waiting to attack the Jews as soon as Bilam uttered the curses. When they saw Hashem prevented him from harming the Jews, they halted their plan because of fear.

A lesson I took from this week's parasha: No matter what one does or how powerful they are, Hashem is the most powerful One of all. Balak went to great trouble to get Bilam (the one person whom he thought could destroy the Jews) to wipe them out, but there IS and ALWAYS will be Someone more Powerful than all, that is, Hashem. We say in Shemoneh Esrei every day, "Ha Kel, Ha Gadol v'Ha Gibor (He is the Almighty, Who is the Great One, and He is the Strong One.") - meaning, all strength is His.

When we daven those words, we can now have more kavana as to what it means. Hashem Is and Always will be the most powerful regardless of anyone else's prowess in any area.

Have a wonderful Shabbos,
Nisso

[1] Sinhedrin 102b
[2] Bamidbar Rabba 20:7
[3] Tehillim 7:12
[4] Brachos 7a (and Tosfos)
[5] Rabeinu Bachaya

No comments:

Post a Comment