Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Parashas Vezos HaBracha - Complain or Get a Bracha? The Choice is Mine!


Parashas Vezos HaBracha is packed with brachos! Every page you turn, you'll find another one!

One of the brachos given were to the Leviim [1]. The reason they were deserving of a bracha, explains Rashi, is because they did not complain with the rest of those who voiced complaints. Unlike the other Jews, the tribe of Levy did not challenge Moshe by the Waters of Meriva [“to bring forth water from a rock other than the one chosen by Hashem.”] Nor did they participate in any of the ten trials with which Bnei Yisroel tested Hashem in the wilderness [2].

At this moment, I'm thinking about the maisa with Rivka Imeinu. When Rivka carried Yaakov and Eisav in her womb, they kept fighting to get out. She found the pains so excessive that she could hardly endure them. Whenever she'd pass a bais midrash, there was a jerk and inward motion in that direction. When she came across a temple of idol-worship, there was another motion towards it.

Rivka said, “My pains are so great, I wish I had never become pregnant! Even if I was destined to give birth to the 12 tribes, it's not worthwhile to suffer!”[3] As a result of her complaints, she lost the privilege of bearing the 12 tribes, who were born to Yaakov's wives instead. [4]

When reading Rashi in our Parasha, I conceptualized how important it is not to complain. This world is run by Hashem. Whatever He wants to happen will inevitably happen. Maybe when Hashem 'tests' us, the present situations we're in are not the actual test? Perhaps the actual test is to see whether we'll complain about the present situation?

Above, I brought down an event where one is blessed for not complaining and an event where one is punished for complaining.

We should take out a lesson from this week's parasha: The next time we're in a situation which we might complain about; we should stop to think for a second, “Maybe the reason why I am put in this situation is because Hashem wants to see whether I will complain about it or not. If I don't complain, then I might be worthy of a special bracha, just like the Leviim were zocheh to have! And if I do complain, then what's the point? Not only will it not change the situation I am in, but I might even lose a bracha!”

May we be zocheh to live to see the Redemption and the rebuilding of the “fallen sukkah of David” - the Beis Hamikdash – speedily in our days!

Have a wonderful Shabbos and Yom Yov,
Nisso


[1] 33:8
[2] Rokeah
[3] Bereishis Rabba 63:6
[4] Bereishis Rabba 63:7

No comments:

Post a Comment