Friday, January 8, 2010

Parashas Shemos - Man proposes and G-d disposes

This week's Dvar Torah has been sponsored for:
Refua Shelema: Leah Ayala Bas Yehudis
May you have health, happiness, and success!
(If you would like to sponsor a Dvar Torah, feel free to email me: SharingTorah@gmail.com)
________________________________________________________

I once ate by someone for Shabbos. They seated me in between two of their little kids (I wasn't too excited.) I couldn't stop thinking about how much I would appreciate it if they didn't get their tiny, little, kiddy, (dirty) fingers on me. I couldn't move my chair to the left or to the right because I was surrounded! I managed throughout the meal to stay clean (not from myself - from them), but for dessert they served gooey fudge chocolate cake. I normally would have been like, "Yes! Awesome dessert!" but here - nuh uh, I just thought, "No WAY!!"

The ba'al habayis was in the middle a dvar Torah, when I noticed the kid on my right looking at me. His face was covered with chocolate! I knew exactly what was about to happen! His mother was going to look over to him and see the mess and clean him right up. Right? WRONG! Instead of what I would have LOVED to have happened, this cute little angel (can you hear the sarcasm?) wiped his whole face on my freshly ironed white shirt. My arm was covered with chocolate! The amazing thing is you'd think I got most of the chocolate off his face but his face seemed like it hadn't even been touched!

After that shabbos, whenever I went to someone's house and saw more than one available seat - I would try to get the seat which wasn't too close to any of the younger kids, someone annoying, or someone who smells. :) The problem is, "Man Plans and G-d Laughs!" I've noticed that if I was destined to sit next to someone, it will happen either way. If G-d intended for hot soup to be spilled on me, or me sitting next to someone who was really smelly (all true stories), then it will indeed happen.

I remember once making sure to sit in between two friends (trying to avoid a specific kid or host's children) picking our seats, but then something happening which interrupted my plan, whether the hosts had already arranged seats for us, or whatnot. Since then, I couldn't care less who sat next to me.

Man proposes and G-d disposes!

In this week's parasha, we see a lot of that going on. Jews were multiplying very quickly and Pharoh was getting nervous. He was worried that maybe the Jews would start to build an army and try to conquer Egypt. He commanded all his men to kill off the male babies. His astrologers told him they see that a baby boy will be born in Egypt (they were not sure whether he would be Jewish or Egyptian) and he will redeem the Jews.

Pharoh tried changing Hashem's plan and commanded that all newborn boys, whether Jewish or Egyptian, be tossed into the Nile. "We must stop this redeemer from growing up and playing the role he was meant to play in life," he thought.

Little did Pharoh know, not only was this newborn saved, but he was raised in Pharoh's own palace! This little boy's name is Moshe.

Hashem has a plan for all of us. If it's meant to be, then it's meant to be. No matter what we do to try and change them, it will still happen. Not to be confused with "free-will"; we have that as well. That is another topic.

Have a wonderful Shabbos,
Nisso

No comments:

Post a Comment